Monday, December 20, 2010

The snow project

I thought it wouldn't snow until after I get back, because all the snow that fell was starting to melt or harden into annoying icy layers on the roads and pavements. As it started snowing heavily in the evening today, it looked gorgeous. I turned off all the lights, rolled up my window blinds, and stared out till it stopped snowing, with Paunchy Man in my lap. There is something about darkness that is comforting at times. In my desperate attempt to capture the moment, this was created. Turns out my camera doesnt have video functionality (how modern).


Schnee from Alak Renu on Vimeo.



There is something beautiful about stitching frames, it has the suspense element of turning the pages of a book, or perhaps the sheer simplicity of a movie flipbook. I always wanted to make one as a kid. I guess this is how it transpired.

Snow is gorgeous when its fresh, when the daintiest of branches is adored with a layer of soft snow. Snow is also gorgeous when the flakes are prominent and have their signature structure.

As much as I am getting used to snow, it reminds me of wolves. Now I totally understand the Germans' fascination with husky-mixed or gigantic dogs. Very Balto :)