Thursday, August 14, 2008

Because this deserves all the sentiment...

6 years ago, on this day I would come into the balcony, right after brushing my teeth with my glass of milk (which I abhorred). We had a good panoramic view of a near-by chourastha (cross roads). All chourasthas in our neighbourhood would have temporary islands (roundabouts) with a long rectangular picture divided into three parts with the potraits of Gandhi, Nehru and Bose. And there would be a big rose garland around the potraits. All propped up on a metal chair with a wooden pole that ended in grey coloured rented loud speakers (the same ones that blare music at shaadis) which played songs like these. I would soon finish my milk, wear my uniform, do my ponies with ribbons and all, then have breakfast and I wouldn’t have to pack my lunch bag because I would be in school for the flag hoisting only (which meant I'd get 20 Rs to spend on samosas, curry puffs and all the works!) – all this while mom and I would sing away to glory with the blaring speakers.

I would get to school, go directly to the teacher who was in-charge to get those tiny Indian paper flags that you pin to the pinafore, put one on myself and distribute the rest. Then I would go back stage to get ready for some play or some song-drama, or just singing with the choir. One year I remember I was the kisaan (farmer) in some song. I apparently was the best fit with my complexion and short hair. So I came to school with a moochi, dhoti and a khadi white shirt and turban on my head. Dad dropped me off on his bajaj scooter and I remember I was super conscious all the way to the school.
I remember wanting to be the bhaarat-maata every year, the prettiest girl with the longest of tresses would be the bhaarat-maata. The crown, the white sari, all the attention, all the people around her and she would get to be on stage for the whole duration! Whereas the kisaan was there only when the song talked about farming :|

That was school and Independence Day for me. The years after graduation I was just happy to be getting a holiday, it was just another holiday. I missed the pedas that were passed around. I missed the plays and the songs.

Tomorrow; well it’s not different from today, out here. But it did give me a reason to “rewind” and “play”. (not like I need a reason :P)

Here’s to our 61st. *glasses clinking*