Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The God of small things

Everybody has their own story as to why and how they ended up reading Arundhati Roy's novel. I read it because we have this informal book club for all incoming freshman at UT. There is a big list of professors and the books they read and want to discuss. Much like this one and we meet on the Sunday before school starts to get a glimpse of what it is to be in a university, to find out how approachable(or not) professors are. You know, ice breaker. I think its a great idea.

So every year I believe they make sure there's at least one Indian/South-Asian author on that list. I have been following the lists the past three years. I picked Roy my freshman year because I hadn't read even a single Indian Author book until then (now I cant keep my hands off one) and I wanted to see how much these people here knew about India, hehe. So that was my The-God-of-Small-Things story.

This year as you see they have Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies and The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai.

I remember how my read of The god of small things was. There is an eerie feeling attached to it. It was weird reading about a boy being molested, guys in mundus, and all other things Indian. If there is one book I would want to read again it would be this book (and thats saying a whole lot in my world since I have never read a book twice).

Can't believe it's senior year. The thing with UT is, I feel like I belong there. Very few things (like a person's hug or a city) can give you that homecoming feeling.

aaaand I am picking up a Jhumpa Lahiri after I get back (which is in 2 days!).

:)